Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bitch?!

The article we read by Beverly Gross explained the different uses of the word "Bitch".  She starts out with showing us the definition of it from the Oxford English Dictionary, and then goes through all the different dictionaries and the variety of definitions.  She explains how it has changed meaning over the centuries.  She then states that this word is the most offensive word to say to a woman.  She stays steady through the article with that almost every meaning is a very derogatory statement to females.  There is also the thing that most of the dictionaries do not have a derogatory word for men, but there are many different ways to be disrespectful to women.  There is the one example where the word "Bitch" is a good thing and that is in the African American culture.  Overall I feel that she is trying to show how we have such a derogatory word, Bitch, for women yet there is not one for men.

I found this article really intriguing because it showed many different ways we are mean to females, yet there is few ways that we degrade men.  I liked that she had multiple sources throughout the piece that showed some definitions to be close or the same, but then how expandable the word Bitch is.  So I feel this article got the point across very well, it explained all the different views, and many different points.  I do think this sort of relates to my writing only because of when I try to put my point across I try to use multiple views and points like Gross did.  Overall I feel this was a very good article and Beverly Gross wrote, and it was not confusing to me at all.   

No comments:

Post a Comment