Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ronson

I feel that Ronson had a explicit point, that even though the klansmen would not say nigger they are still inconsiderate people.  For example if they knew that Ronson was a Jew then they would have treated him much differently but since they were oblivious to that fact they treated him like any other white person.  With respect, and not demeaning as long as he did not act or sound like a Jewish person.  A thing that he got across to me in this chapter is that some of the groups are trying to keep up with todays views, not that the groups are a good thing.  To me he just relates some of  the people to "normal" everyday citizens.  This is when he portrays Thom Robb as, "having a humorous demeanor." (180)  This implicit point is put in my head, that some of these people yet being in the KKK are still changing, and trying to be better or different.  Overall I feel that he is still trying to leave me with the impression that these groups are still stupid, and that the people in them are also stupid for being in them.

This story was different to me, I have never heard of a KKK group that tried not to use the word nigger.  I thought that this was a interesting point and it was a different tatic that I have never heard of.  By tatic I mean trying to get in the public eye as a so called good group.  I find it humorous that they want to get into the public eye like they were in 1915 with the movie Birth of a Nation.  This is because like Ronson shows, people just think about all the bad things corresponded to the title of a KKK member.  I mean at least they are somewhat moving forward by not using such offensive language, but that is hardly a start.  The only confusing part that I found was why he did not want Ronson to take pictures of the ashes of the burnt cross.  But overall I liked the story because it felt intruiging I wanted to hear what they were going to do next, I also found most of it humorous.  

No comments:

Post a Comment